Tuesday 4 June 2013

A rough outline...


I've wanted to be able to draw for a while now. Quite a while, in fact. For years I've dabbled with random sketches, or sought out online help. The closest I've ever gotten to following one of these online 'courses' is when I found an site that promised to teach me the art of drawing anime characters. I love anime, which may be where my desire to draw has come from, and so I was excited to learn how to draw these characters.

How did it go? Well, I have about 4 pages full of notes, scribbles and eyes at different angles in a notebook which would answer that question. Not very well. It's not so much that what I'd drawn was bad, but rather that I had a short attention span. These 4 pages were my attempt at the first exercises on the Manga University site (I can't find the site again, so this name is a guesstimate), designed to teach you how to draw eyes. I'd only gotten about halfway through before I was thinking 'when am I going to draw something besides eyes?'. The answer it seemed, was never, as I stopped drawing altogether. Instead of finishing the section on eyes and moving onto the next section on, say, faces or bodies etc, I just stopped. That's probably why, to this day, the only thing I feel I can remotely draw is eyes. If I feel a burst of creativity and a pencil and paper is near, it's an eye I'll draw. Do you know how unnerving it is to have a notepad next to you with eyes staring out all day? Unfortunately, I do.

After recently buying a few comics, and seeing all of the different art styles and delicately crafted settings and characters, my love for drawing has been rekindled, and I have decided it is time for me to put the time and effort into becoming a better drawer. The idea of this blog is to force me to keep going, and will be a place where I show the drawing exercises I have been doing, my progress, include any tips I found useful, and hopefully be able to include anyone else who is interested in learning to draw, or feels like showing something they have already drawn (and rub their talent in my face).

That's probably all I can say for now, so I'll let my drawing do the talking. I hope you follow me as I finally stick to it and learn to draw. And if you feel like it, get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment