Wednesday 11 September 2013

Getting Hands-y

Since this week's exercise (Drawing Blind) focused on drawing the contours of my hand - blind, may I add - it made sense to me that my Random Sketch should also feature a hand. That's just how my mind works. An eye for an eye, a hand for a hand, or something.

A few months ago, when I went to London's MCM Expo - a glorious convention full of games, films, comics and everything else that a geek like myself could enjoy - my friend bought a Japanese entertainment magazine. I had a flick through to see if there were any interesting anime films or games coming out, and stumbled across a section devoted to drawing anime. Naturally, I slowed down to read this section to see if I could pick up any tips for an aspiring 'artist'.

Here's what I found:

How to Draw Hands



"Drawing hands is tricky. They're one of the most complex parts of the human skeleton, and our expectations for hands to look accurate is second nature. Hands exhibit a wide range of poses, and some of the limitations of how they move and bend aren't always immediately apparent. If drawn correctly, however, hands can be just as impressive and impactful as the character's face!"


"The hand is made of 17 parts; 15 for the fingers, and two for the palm. The palm can be represented in two parts; the main area, and the section at the top connecting the four fingers. Each of the digits (including the thumb) has three sections. The lowest part of the thumb encroaches on a large part of the palm, and can cause the whole palm to curve. Always all of these parts when drawing the hand, even when some parts have been obscured."


 My attempt, using my tablet.

I was quite happy with how it turned out - happy enough to put it on Twitter, actually, where I may have received a tweet saying that it was good... I don't like to brag or anything though.

 Why not try drawing a hand yourself using the handy tips above? That was awful, and I'm truly sorry, but you should still give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment