Wednesday 18 September 2013

Sweet Dreams

If you're ever wondering what happens when you've been reading nothing but American Vampire and Locke and Key comics all week, this is it. This atrocity that my tablet's sketch app helped to create. It's some sort of eerie take on the Cheshire cat watching a child sleep, apparently. All I knew when starting this sketch was that I knew I wanted to create a picture with some of the tension that I enjoyed so much from these two comic series. 


Nap, anyone?

Gabriel Rodriguez, the artist behind the Locke and Key series has this tension perfected in his work, and when I asked him on Twitter what advice he had for someone who wants to learn to draw he replied with, "The only possible advice: draw a lot, all the time, as many different things as possible. And try to have as much fun as you can."

See, I told you.

If you're into comics, and especially horror, you'll want to check these two comic series out. One focuses on a vampire in the Wild West (with a back-story from Stephen King!) and one focuses on a mansion hiding dark secrets and reality-shattering keys. I'll let you guess which is which.

This sketch really brought Gabriel's advice home for me, as it most definitely isn't the best thing I've ever drawn, but it's something I had the most fun with. I can't be the only one that loves creatures lurking in the shadows and nightmares being more than figments of our imagination, can I?

If you share my love of horror, let me know! Are there any films, books, games, comic series or more that I might be missing out on?

No comments:

Post a Comment